Yes, Ethan had his first visit to the ER last week. It all started on Monday when Ethan had his 2 month baby well check. I mentioned to the doctor how we are still dealing with green mucusy poops (yes, I will be discussing Ethan's poop here...so I apologize to the Ethan when he is older for discussing his personal info on the internet...sorry baby). The doctor told me I should be eliminating dairy from my diet and that is what was causing the green stools, but I had been eliminating dairy and soy from my diet for 3 weeks at that point...I love my google self diagnosis!
Okay so the doctor still didn't seem too concerned but said to bring in a diaper and she would examine it. So Jeff and I waited to get a "good" one to bring to her and on Wednesday I brought the dirty diaper to the ped. I figured she would call the next day and say everything looked okay and not too worry. But instead she called and said his stools are positive for blood and we need to bring him in to her office.
So thinking we would have a quick doctor visit I tossed a diaper in my purse and headed out the door. When we got there she handed us formula...Nutrameign...some super expensive formula that doesn't contain dairy or soy. She said to do 4 hours of pedialite and then use formula for a week and see if he improves.
But before doing this we needed to go have an X-ray of his bowels to rule out any blockages and then to the lab for a blood test to see if he has any allergies. We did all this, and poor Ethan was such trouper, and then we headed back to the doctors to discuss the X-ray. She said it looked fine and she would call Monday with lab results.
And because a long post is always better with pics. Here is a pic of Ethan while we were waiting to review the X-ray with the pediatrician. Poor baby you can see the bandage on his arm from the blood draw.

So we headed home and stopped at Babies r us for some bottles, pedialite and diapers. I stayed in the car and fed Ethan while Jeff ran into the store. Just as he got out of the store his cell phone rang and it was the pediatrician telling us we needed to go directly to the ER. They radiologist saw what could be a blockage in his colon and he needs an ultrasound.
At this point we are all exhausted what we thought was going to be a 30 minute appointment has already been over 4 hours. I had forgotten my cell phone so I finally use Jeff's cell to call my parents and tell them what was happening. It took awhile for them to figure out it was me and what I was saying because I was totally hysterical. I felt like I had failed Ethan with the breastfeeding, I wasn't ready to give him formula and stop feeding him but of course I would do whatever is best for him. And then even more hysterical because we were totally freaked out about why we were going to the ER for and what could happen to Ethan.
We got to the ER around 7 and my Aunt came to keep us company while my Mom and sister started driving up. They did another X-ray, he actually liked those because of the lights he would just start cooing and be happy baby for a bit. Then they did another blood draw this time from the heel which was a lot worse for him. It just took so much longer than the arm and he just doesn't like his feet touched. After those tests we waited for awhile and finally had the ultrasound. I held him and he slept through the whole thing so that made it easy.
Finally all our test results were in and they didn't see any blockage. The doctors believe the blood in the stool to be a food allergy or intolerance. So they discharged us and sent us home.
On Monday the pediatrician called and said that he tested negative for all food allergies (and thanks again to google) I inquired about the test showing false negatives because he is so young. Most gastro doctors recommend waiting until 18 months to do the test. She said we would keep repeating if he continues to show intolerance's. We are praying his digestive issues are just intolerance's, as that would mean he will out grow them. If they are "allergies" he would have them for life.
So the final summary of my long ER drama is that currently he has food intolerance's to dairy, soy, egg, wheat, corn and so many more. But we are thankful they aren't allergies.
Since they are not allergies I have continued to breast feed and yes, with the pediatrican's support. This decision meant I go on what they refer to as the total elimination diet. I eat only turkey meat, potatoes, rice, zucchini and yellow squash, oats, peaches and bananas. It is amazing the food they make with rice. Rice milk is surprisingly good!
Ethan is doing well, he is a happy baby! Yes, he is on meds for acid reflux or GERD and without them he screams in pain. But the poops in his diapers are still mucusy and sometimes green but they are getting better and seem to be getting more yellow (that is what we want). I just hope that my diet helps him to get better. The google research says breast feeding is the best way to help cure the food intolerance's.
Okay, I am ending this post now. I will post more about TED (total elimination diet) the foods I add into my diet, their effects on Ethan, and of course some pictures of Ethan later.


2 comments:
Hi Michelle! We just had our first experience at the ER too this weekend! Miles was not feeling well, crying, having a hard time breathing, and pushing his tummy. His doc said to take him to the ER. We were there seven hours and did many tests. They also did one to see if he had a blockage. It was more than an x-ray, I'll spare the details. It also was negative. Finally, they admitted him to the hospital and did lots and lots of test. His blood work showed a high count of white blood cells. We were there from Friday till Sunday. The only thing they were conclusive about was he had an infection. They treated him with antibiotics and he got better and white blood count went close to normal. DRAMA!!!!! I am so grateful we are all home well and safe. This was my first time in the ER after eight years of being a mommy. I just realized that I could have emailed you all this info. Oh well. I got a crazy when I read what you went through. Keep me posted! Love you guys! Julie xxxxxx
Michelle - how stressful! i'm glad everything is going better now. you know all of ryan's drama and he has now grown out of it. thank goodness! i will cross my fingers that ethan does as well. :) good for you for sticking with bf-ing. if it's important to you, i'm glad you are making it work! :) take care! - jackie
Post a Comment